Greenhouse Part III – The Finale

That’s right, this is part III and the final installment of the Greenhouse project series. It’s been a fantastic ride, and I owe it all to my friends and family for getting me this far. Seriously though, building this greenhouse has been a really fun project to complete and will end up being extremely useful as well. At the end of my last post, I included a photo of the fully framed greenhouse, complete with door installed. Today, I want to highlight that door. I have spoken previously about always trying to reuse or repurpose things, rather than buying new. This not only helps prevent wasting resources building new items, it can also save a crap ton of money. The door that we installed on the greenhouse was found at a Habitat for Humanity Restore for $35. It’s a beautiful (and heavy) wood and glass door. Allyson and I were able to add an old door knob from a local salvage store for $5, and by the end had a fantastic door that fit the aesthetic of our greenhouse.

Extremely happy with the door and the fact that it only cost $40 total!

As you can see in the photo above, after finishing the framing it was time to install the plastic on the outside. In order to do this, we used wood lath strips that we painted white and then installed using finishing nails with the plastic in between the strip and the studs. This method was extremely useful for getting the plastic installed tightly, as we could install one end first and then pull the plastic tight in one big piece to the other end.

One item that Allyson really wanted as a feature in the new greenhouse was some way to vent during the hot summer months. We ended up with a couple of methods to do that. On the short wall, we installed hardware mesh underneath the plastic. This will allow us to roll up the plastic during the summer months while still providing protection against what seems like a full army of squirrels in our neighborhood.

The other method for venting was to install 2 windows on the tall wall. I installed a 2×4 horizontally between 2 studs, and then used 1×2” pine to build window boxes that can hinge open whenever we’d like to increase airflow. Once again we placed hardware cloth in these windows for additional rodent/bird protection whenever we would like to get a cross breeze going.

Our great new greenhouse! It’s already survived its first big hail storm (penny sized hail).
These windows with the hardware cloth short wall should provide plenty of airflow during the hot summer months.

Allyson and I are both really excited with how the greenhouse turned out. There are still a few minor touches to finish up, mostly finishing up painting some of the lath strips and installing latches and handles to the windows to hold them tightly closed and make them a bit easier to pull open. These are minor things though and definitely have not prevented Allyson from planting up her new greenhouse.

Allyson was already planting up the greenhouse as I finished up the final touches.

And I’m just going to leave this here for all of you Rick and Morty fans out there.

Leave a Reply

×