Window to Your Soul

Freshly installed windows with shims in place to help force the window square over time.

Another week has flown by and I’m back to discussing my workshop build with the internet. Today’s topic, windows. The workshop design called for 6 windows (after some adjustments). For these windows, we used barn sash windows and then built the window box for each window.

Remember the windows we installed in the door? Those were the exact windows installed elsewhere on the shed. The only difference in this case was the painstaking process of unscrewing the barn sash, painting the windows black, and then the painstaking process of putting the windows back together. In this case I truly mean painstaking..did you know that glass is sharp? Unfortunately, or maybe luckily for the lack of finger cut photos, I completely forgot to take photos of this entire process.

After getting the windows painted and ready to go, I had to build the window boxes. In this case I used 1”x4” pine boards to build a rectangular frame. Within that frame I then installed 1”x2” pine to act as the stop that the window closes tightly against. I then painted the frame in the same black as the window and began the process of installation.

The window install into the frame was relatively straightforward. I set the window into the frame, resting on the stop, and then shimmed (I used old gift cards in this case) it evenly on all sides. After installing two hinges at the top of the window, allowing it to open outwards once installed in the workshop, I installed the window and frame into the workshop. Once again using shims all around the window, between the window frame and the workshop frame, I made sure the window frame was level and evenly spaced on all sides. I then put in two wood screws in each side of the window, through the shims, making sure to install them slightly below the surface of the wood in order to cover them at a later date. A large amount of foam backer rod and caulk later, I had the windows almost completely finished.

The final step in the window install was to add weather stripping to create a tight seal when the windows are closed. This was slightly difficult to do for these windows, as they hinge from the top and were decidedly homemade. I decided to install weather stripping on the outside of the window stop, where the window rests when closed. The weather stripping was installed along the whole stop, but in order to create a seal I needed to make sure the window closed tightly. In this case I used hook and eye latches to pull the window tightly closed. I’m curious to see how this system holds up over a year of usage and how well they seal. I may end up having a new post in a year with an upgraded window system, and I’ll make sure to take pictures that time!

I found a photo! In this case, it was prior to the door install and we were hit with a blizzard that blew snow all the way into the windows 10′ in the workshop. This gives a good idea of the barn sash style, the stop that it closes against, and the hook and eye latch used to close the windows tightly.

Leave a Reply

×